Having crooked teeth can make you feel self-conscious, so you stop smiling.
That’s why many people decide that it’s worth it to temporarily
wear orthodontic braces to fix this problem. But during the treatment
process, most dental patients wearing metal braces still try to avoid
smiling because they want to hide the ugly metal wires and brackets.
Fortunately, this doesn’t have to be the case today as more and more
people are choosing Invisalign treatments as an effective way to straighten
their teeth and correct misaligned bites. Here are four basic facts you
may not know about
Invisalign aligners, along with a few considerations and warnings.
Invisalign Braces Offer Several Benefits
There are many advantages linked with Invisalign braces.
- Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners are almost invisible. As a result,
other people won’t even know you’re wearing braces. This is
a huge benefit, making these seamless, clear aligners cosmetically appealing.
- Because there aren’t any metal wires or brackets, the aligners are
much more comfortable than traditional metal brackets that can irritate
- You can easily remove the braces when eating or drinking, meaning that
there are virtually no restrictions on your diet. The only time that you
don’t have to take out your braces is when drinking cold water.
- Because they’re removable, brushing your teeth is not a problem.
- An Invisalign treatment is considerably faster than what’s involved
in wearing metal braces, which can involve a period of anywhere from 18
months to as long as three years. On the other hand, most Invisalign aligners
only require about 12 months to work.
- Do you need to lose some weight? Although these braces are not intended
for weight-loss, some people actually shed a few pounds. This is probably
due to having to wear your braces for almost 24 hours a day, which can
have an effect on eating habits.
An Invisalign Treatment Involves a Series of Aligners
Rather than having only a single removable, plastic aligner, your treatment
involves using a series of aligners that you’ll be wearing in a
specific order. With each succeeding aligner, minor adjustments will be
made for positioning your teeth. It usually takes about two weeks before
a patient starts wearing the next set of aligners.
Your dentist will explain what’s entailed in each sequence of the
entire process. Consider that each person is unique, so the treatment
can differ, according to a patient’s particular needs.
You Should Wear Your Aligners for at Least 22 Hours a Day
For the treatment to be effective, it’s important that you make a
commitment to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day. Again, the
only time you should remove them is when you eat or clean your teeth.
Keep in mind that wearing your aligners for less than 22 hours a day can
compromise the effectiveness of your treatment.
The Treatment Isn’t for Everyone
Some patients are not good candidates for Invisalign braces.
- Don’t get this treatment if you have bridgework.
- It's not intended for people who have a problem with a back tooth bite.
- Moreover, your dentist probably won’t recommend Invisalign aligners
if you need to have your teeth shifted vertically.
- If you’re not disciplined enough to keep the aligner trays in your
mouth for at least 22 hours a day, this treatment is not advisable.
- What’s more, you shouldn’t have Invisalign braces if you need
to rotate premolars or canines.
Other Considerations and Warnings
- Your dentist will probably suggest that you wear a retainer after completing
your treatment, regardless of whether you’ve used Invisalign or
regular braces. This is necessary so that your teeth won’t eventually
move back into their original position.
- Even though it’s safe to drink cold water without having to remove
your braces, you should take them out when drinking hot beverages. This
is because leaving them in your mouth can affect the shape and fit of
- Furthermore, your dentist may also recommend not drinking alcoholic beverages,
in addition to avoiding beverages that contain sugar.
For more information, call the dental professionals at AA South Florida
Dentistry. We do everything possible to ensure that our patients are treated
with utmost respect, are comfortable and receive the best treatment plan. Please
contact us to learn more about our wide range of dental services.